Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze777

Electrical
Jul 24, 2007
US
I have a box full of these breakers, not sure how I aquirred them, and they have no identifying marks or labels. They resemble a GE Twin. THe only label is a UL Listing lablel. Can anyone help me identify brand and what panel they will fit?
IMG_0787_qbt5uy.jpg
IMG_0786_bnyovh.jpg
IMG_0785_yjzgjx.jpg
IMG_0784_i0r0it.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. blaze777 (Electrical)
"...I have a box full of these breakers, not sure how I aquirred them, and they have no identifying marks or labels. They resemble a GE Twin. THe only label is a UL Listing lablel. Can anyone help me identify brand and what panel they will fit?..."

Che. 1. Sir, you are not sure how you acquired them, no identifying marking or labels, but only label is a UL listing.
This is probably? a [rejected item that failed the manufacturer's quality control]. This is why there is [no name of manufacturer , model and rating marking]. These rejected items are to be [destroyed] instead of allowing them to flow back into the market.
2. DO NOT attempt to use it all, irrespective of who was the irresponsible manufacturer/contractor who was responsible for the disposal! It is a potential time bomb. [Destroy] it and dispose of it. Prevent it from coming back into the market again. Thank you.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

UL Listing label

There is another explanation. The matching panels are no longer made. A large number of breakers were left in stock at several levels of the supply chain.
Most of the old stock was eventually discarded. Some of the discards found their way into private ownership.
The challenge is not so much the quality of the breakers as it is the unavailability of matching breaker panels.
A breaker in perfect shape is worthless if you cannot obtain a panel that it will fit.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

A lot of breakers don't have moulded on information. The older ITE breakers were like this and the current Cutler-Hammer breakers are. Once the sticker falls off, as it has in your picture, they're basically junk as you have lost the means to used to identify the breaker.

In which case they should be disposed of. Back in the day, Challenger had a rather poor reputation. Particularly if you want your breakers to open under fault conditions.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back