Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

identify steel from composition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mTreadwell

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2008
US
Is there a good resource I can use to identify a steel by its chemical composition? I received an MTR from a vendor who wants to substitute a material, but there's no specification on it (unless "58 x 295" is a designation I'm not familiar with?) and it doesn't look like it matches anything in Jorgensen particularly closely. I guess what I'm imagining is some sort of dichotomous tree that breaks everything down by specified ranges, and after I enter the percentages of a few additives it's narrowed down to a list of possibilities.

Of course, I've asked the vendor to give me the designation, but while I wait for a response I'm curious to know if this is possible...

Thanks!
-Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use MatWeb to input chemical compositions and it will return closest matches:

For true identification, you need to compare with published documents like standards (ASTM, ISO, SAE), the ASM Handbook series, or one of the better guides (Stalhschluessel, ASM's Worldwide Equivalents).

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"58 x 295" sounds like the dimensions of a plate or sheet.

Joe Tank

@JoeTank: Yes, it does. Not a very big one though, if we're talking mm, or an enormous one if we're talking inches. Maybe cm?

Anyway, it turns out the material was (CSA G40.21) 50W - it certainly didn't mention that anywhere on the MTR. Is that common? I've only glanced at a few in the past, but I don't remember noticing that they didn't include the spec being tested to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back