Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

identify these machines 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Celio

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2023
BR
I just graduated in Mechanical Engineer and got a Job that I dont know nothing about.
Please, someone helpme identify what is the purpose os these machines.
WhatsApp_Image_2023-02-17_at_15.42.43_qh0yub.jpg
WhatsApp_Image_2023-02-17_at_15.42.43_1_uytccm.jpg

I don't know if here are the right place to post. but I need help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did someone take off the nameplates with the manufacturer's name and model number and the contact information for the company that made them?

What does the other side of the first one look like?
The second is simply a horizontal band saw for cutting material.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

@3DDave - No, they still have. I searched the nameplates on the internet. but of these machines there were only resellers. and since they are from a few years ago, it's hard to find.
@EdStainless
WhatsApp_Image_2023-02-17_at_17.22.21_rpamsa.jpg

Guillotine, sometimes used to remove fingers.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Yup, looks like a shear to me. used for cutting sheet metal and anything softer.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Weird - the point of nameplates would be for us to help you. There is a lot of information about SUMEC machines found by Google.

Those plates also tell a minimum electrical connection information, such as this one does:
Try to find a technical school and take some night courses before you are severely injured by equipment that isn't immediately identifiable to you from close examination.

Ask each and every machine operator what the machine is, basic operating functions, and watch how they use it. Ask what they like and dislike about the machine such as ease of use, reliability, product quality, and production speed. As a mechanical engineer who solves machine condition problems, I rely a lot on observations and discussion with the operators. Do not believe averything that is said by operators, maintenance staff, and management. Sometimes you can learn more around the machines than sittig in the office!

I agree that the machines "look like" a shear and a band saw.

Walt

Hello,

The first machine looks like a shear. The first photo is the back side showing the back gauge where you can set the amount being cut from a sheet. The shear is powered, but from the photo I can't tell if it's mechanical or hydraulic. That loop of metal hanging on the back side of the shear and touching the blue chair could be an old rusty band saw blade.

The second machine looks like a horizontal band saw with rollers to support the work being cut.

Kyle

Thank you all guys.I am a teacher and supervisor in the area of ​​metal mechanics at a professional education school in Brazil.
These machines are in the lab I'm responsible for.

You better make sure you have the proper AND SAFE operating instructions before you try to do anything - ESPECIALLY WITH STUDENTS INVOLVED!!!! I know from experience - they can get really creative in their stupidity! I have mentored a high school robotics team for the last several years. I am continually amazed at how little they know, and how dangerous they can be. We have had several near misses, like when a table saw grabs a piece of wood and fires it across the room. Or like when a students' sleeve gets caught in a drill press. Or like when a student actually breaks a bench vice trying to squeeze a penny flat. Or like when someone trips over the cord for a power tool and jerks it out of the users' hands. Or like ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back