Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Identifying Bolt from Head Markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWD123

Structural
Sep 10, 2021
GB
Hi, I'm investigating an existing building and have come across some bolts stamped "SS L393/1 GS M", does anyone know what this refers to?

In the UK I'm used to seeing standard markings like "M8.8" of "A4-70" but I've never seen this sort of thing, I assume it's a non-european standard.

Any help would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks desertfox, unfortunately no luck with the info on that page.

To add context, this is a structural bolt in a steel framed building, I would expect it to be carbon steel (typical for this environment) and it is a hex head, approx size M20.

SS might be stainless steel (which I realize you don't expect, but you never know).
Try permanent magnet test. If it doesn't attract, almost certainly stainless. If it does attract, somewhat inconclusive (some SS does attract)

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Screenshot_from_2021-09-26_18-59-38_r0xysh.png

You might be looking at someones "special bolt", with a part number rather than a proper head marking.

Have you had a chance of studying the original drawings from the builder? Also certs are required on such projects, see if they are still available from archives maintained presumably by jurisdiction authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back