Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IEC 60079-14 Conduit Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamgarcia

Electrical
Jan 20, 2014
US
I recently have an inquiry to install electrical and instrumentation on a few gas processing skids for an area classification of class 1 zone 2. The spec referred to me by my client to follow is, IEC 60079-14.
I am use to making installations for class 1 divison 2, and understand it is not too much different. I have reviewed the IEC 60079-14 spec and it all seams pretty general in requirements.

So here is my Plan: I have in stock 1" rigid conduit which will comply with the required conduit fill according to my cable type. I will run conduit from J Boxes to instruments. I will add Seals at the J Box and at the Instruments, and use Drains where necessary. All my Conduit Bodies will be Explosion Proof/Hazardous Area and will use drains where necessary, but the conduit bodies not necessarly rated IEC but rated class 1 divion 2 Explosion Proof for Hazardous area. Use Liquidtight Flex from conduit to Seals connected on Instruments.
The spec did not specifically say my Conduit Bodies need to be rated for IEC.

Question: Per the spec what are the requirements for my conduit? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything or mis-understaing something.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speak to your client. If it's going to Europe then it needs to use ATEX certified components. Europe is metric, so imperial conduit will not be compatible with the stuff your client has available. In the UK conduit is unpopular, even in metric sizes.

Class 1 Div 2 is really not relevant because it has no recognition under IEC standards. Buy the right materials, or take the chance that it will get rejected by the client.

If you are more specific about where it's going then maybe one of us can be of more help, or perhaps suggest manufacturers to look at on this side of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back