Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IEC - Central DC Battery Systems for Emergency Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peebee

Electrical
Jun 10, 2002
US
I've been directed to investigate the use of 220VDC (yes, DC) distribution for emergency lighting. It is unclear to me if such a beast exists. I have been unable to locate any ballast manufacturer offering an ac/dc ballast with a 220-240VDC input.

Have I been sent on a wild goose chase?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use tungsten lamps? Anything available from the LED guys? I know 220V DC LED panel lamps are available but I've never looked for anything bigger.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Yes, ScottyUK, that turned out to be exactly what I was looking for (yes, it's really taken me this long to confirm). I've found another vendor from Finland as well,
They are interesting systems, much more sophisticated than I had expected. They use ballasts with a single 2-wire power input, but that input can accept AC or DC (and that can change on the fly) -- and lamp & ballast status are also monitored and digitally transmitted over the same power wiring. 0-10v dimming is also an available option. Apparently they avoid the cost of an inverter that would be associated with a more traditional UPS system. LED exit signs are also available.

They have apparently been used extensively in the UAE. It is unclear to me what kind of penetration they have in Europe. They are apparently a rather new product offering, but it is unclear to me just how long they have been available.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back