Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IEC Contactor with Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I have an IEC motor starter running at 480 volts and want to add remote controls and don't enter to use 480V for control. Is there a starter that has a built in control transformer? I would like a solution with a similar footprint to the contractor only so I can install it in the original enclosure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never encountered such a devise Tug.
I will be watching for possible further education should you find what you are looking for.
The best of luck.
With your knowledge and experience there must be a compelling reason for not changing to a 120 Volt coil and using external power for control.
I agree with your hesitancy to use 480 Volt remote controls.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I'm adding a 3rd compressor into my boats. It's quite a large unit and I want it to start and stop when the main engines are running and lock out the existing reciprocating compressors. To do this plan to use a double throw relay arrangement. That means I'll be bringing in 24VDC from the engines, unknown power from the new compressor, and two 480V sources from the existing compressors. I don't like having that combination of voltages in one enclosure. The existing starter boxes are those cheapo NEMA 1 (should be NEMA 12) style with only a reset button. I need to do this 10x so I figure it's a good idea to look into options.

I haven't seen a double voltage relay for decades but that may be something to consider.
It was a relay in a metal enclosure with a metal divider between the operating coil and the contacts.
He different voltages were contained in separate compartments with metal separation.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

In this case, the relay will have 24VDC coils activated by the engine run signal. There are two engines and the compressor needs to run any time either is running so I'll have each engine apply a run signal through diodes or use two relays in parallel (preferred). My concern is that our vessels are not operated by "engineers". Troubleshooting often requires systems be live and most of the operators are not comfortable working in live 480V enclosures. That makes remote troubleshooting very difficult.

Those two voltage relays must be older than Google.
How about something like this?
Mounted on a Tee fitting, you can run the low voltage one way and the high voltage the other way.
Relay_20_Amp_Spdt_with_24_Vac_Dc_120_Vac_maxrja.png

Link to Page

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back