Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IECEx rated equipment install in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

controlnovice

Electrical
Jul 28, 2004
US
Can equipment rated with IEC Ex label be installed in the USA?

We are investigating an analyzer rated for IEC 61241-0 as equipment rated for combustible dusts.

Would that be okay to be installed in a Class II, Div II area in the USA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Dbaird

I have that 'poster' already.

This happens to be a dust atmosphere.

Also, from that poster, I couldn't tell if IEC was accepted in the USA. It appears that ISA has code for Zones in the USA. Are they interchangable, was my question.

But I think i found the answer in the NEC (where I should have looked first before posting here!!):
501.5 Zone Equipment.
Equipment listed and marked in accordance with 505.9(C)(2) for use in Class I, Zone 0, 1, or 2 locations shall be permitted in Class I, Division 2 locations for the same gas and with a suitable temperature class. Equipment listed and marked in accordance with 505.9(C)(2) for use in Class I, Zone 0 locations shall be permitted in Class I, Division 1 or Division 2 locations for the same gas and with a suitable temperature class."

Article 505 applies only to Class I environments.

But, a combustible dust would be Class II, not Class I. So Article 506 is more applicable. It covers Zones 20, 21 and 22 locations.

Ahhh...yes...

Thanks for the clarification!

Responding to the OP; in general - No. Equipment only marked "Ex" or "EEx" is not acceptable.
Whether Class I or Zone 20, 21 or 22, one fundamental requirement for US installation of any "Ex" type equipment is that it specifically be marked "AEx." See 506.9(C)(2)(3)and 506.9(C)(2)(1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back