Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IECex vs. ATEX certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peasant

Mechanical
May 5, 2010
US
I am working on a project requiring instruments to be provided with IECex certificates, and comply at least with IEC 60079 group Ex II2G EExd II CT6.

Is it correct that an ATEX (or CSA, FM, etc.) agency approval would not provide an IECex certificate, and is therefore unacceptable?

Furthermore, would something classified as EEx ia II c T6 comply with this requirement, as it is also Zone 1? Or is there a ranking of IEC protection techniques within the same zone class that would place flameproof "above" intrinsic safety?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IEC by it's nature isn't bound to any national regulations. Many nations use the IEC code as the base document and either adopt it 'as is' or publish it as a national code incorporating some modifications. It's possible that there is a national code based on the IEC document such as the British BS EN 60079 series, or maybe a European 'EN' such as the EN 60079 series. If you were installing your equipment in the UK then I would require certifcation to the EN standard.

The question regarding the I.S. 'equivalent' depends on circumstance. You won't find an I.S. induction motor for example, but you might find an I.S. instrument with equivalent performance. It is possible that the same instrument might bear both approvals.

EEx ia arguably has the 'highest' certification because it is the only method which is qualified for Zone 0 applications, but by its nature it is limited to very low power devices.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Peasant,
My company Eutex International would be more than happy to help in your IEC/EX applications. We are located in Houston and have helped out in many of the projects for Australia. Please check out our website for more information. This is not a scam or anything of the sort. We are an IEC electrical distributor in the Houston, TX area and have been in business for over 12 years.

Peasant:

To learn about IECEx certification, visit There are many companies our there that will be happy to help you, but you need to know your requirements to help you pick the right one.
In summary:
- IECEx is a certification based on the IEC 60079 series standards. It is accepted in many areas of the world. The idea is to have a certification mark that will be accepted everywhere.
- ATEX is short for European directive 94-9-EC. You can find the directive online easily enough. Compliance with the ATEX directive is presumed if your design complies with the EN 60079 standards (the same as the IEC standards at this moment, but that is always subject to change).
- An ATEX certified part is not IECEx certified and vice versa. So if you need IECEx, you need an IECEx certification. ATEX, CSA, FM etc will not do, UNLESS the products are also certified to the IECEx requirements. Many items are.
- For information on flameproof (Ex d) and intrinsic safety, many suppliers have information on their websites that explain all the protection methods and where they can be used.
- One more thing. An FM or CSA certification is most likely for a North American Division system rather than a Zone system used almost everywhere else.

Given a choice between IECEx and ATEX certification, IECEx certification is definitely the preferred option. This is especially so for some Zone 2 rated equipment such as Ex n items, where manufacturers can "self-certify" their own equipment as compliant with the ATEX directive.

Furthermore, IECEx not only requires third-party compliance testing and certification, but also ongoing audits / monitoring of the manufacturing process. This isn't the case with ATEX certified equipment. Once a manufacturer has passed the tests, ATEX doesn't oblige them to submit to further testing, even if their manufacturing processes change. This is why you don't see expiry dates on ATEX certifications (although I understand this issue is under discussion with the committee).

ATEX certification is not generally accepted in some places (such as Australia) without some kind of third-party assessment saying that it is okay (e.g. letter of no objection or statement of conformity).

So the short answer is no, ATEX certificates will not comply with IECEx standards. Many manufacturers have dual certification and can probably provide you with IECEx certificates. Failing that, a third-party assessment is required.

Lastly, the Ex ia (intrinsically safe) equipment does not comply with the requirement for Ex d (flameproof). On the face of it, this "EExd IIC T6" requirement sounds ridiculous, especially given how onerous the temperature class and gas groups are. But of course there may be a good reason for specifying such onerous requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back