Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IEEE Standard for Connector designation in Schematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmack5

Automotive
Nov 29, 2004
US

First off, thanks for any help.

We have an issue in my office as to what is IEEE-standard for Connector designation in a schematic. This has to do with 'P' vs 'J'. Can anyone point me to an IEEE standard that proves out one of these two?

CAMP ONE
Standard for P and J designations is that P connectors are the portable connection or the moving connection - thus P's end up on cables. A 'J' connector is less mobile or fixed and ends up on the box or panel in most cases. It is possible to have a P-P connection in a cable to cable configuration.

CAMP TWO
The J (jack) defining the (s)ocket or "female" connector and the P (plug) defining the (p)in or "male" connector.

Thanks,

jMack

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I found the standard.

ANSI Y32.16-1975 IEEE Std 200-1975
page 11

Quote:
4.1.5.3 Connectors. Connector reference designations shall be assigned in accordance with the following principles:
(1) The movable (less fixed) connector of a mating pair shall be designated P.......
(2) The stationary (more fixed) connector of a mating pair shall be designated J or X. .....

Thanks anyway!
jMack

Thanks for that post jmack5. I was always part of Camp 2.

So my question is about a schematic of several harnesses that are not using bulkhead connectors, but still need to be designated. What would they be identified as?

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Nevermind, I missed that part about P-P connections.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

"Designation: 200-1975

Reaffirmation status and year: 1988

Title: IEEE Standard Reference Designations for Electrical and Electronics Parts and Equipments

Status: Withdrawn Standard. Withdrawn Date: Jan 17, 1997. No longer endorsed by the IEEE."

From IEEE 315:

P disconnecting device (plug
connector)
electrical plug connector
plug (connector, movable portion)
waveguide flange (plain)

J disconnecting device (receptacle
connector)
electrical receptacle
connector
jack
receptacle (connector, stationary
portion)
waveguide flange (choke)

OK, I'm a bit confused.

Which one should I follow then?
IEEE Std 200-1975 or IEEE Std 315-1975?

Please explain to someone new with drawing standards...

I may be missing something here, but aren't both references saying essentially the same thing? The moveable (or portable) connector is the P, and the fixed connector is the J? As both standards were penned in 1975, it makes sense they both agree. What standard replace 200-1975?

Thanks,
Mark

They don't agree. 315 speaks of the movable plug and the stationary receptacle but doesn't speak to the stationary plug, or the movable receptacle. Male/female is avoided, but by most definitions the plug goes within the receptacle. The symbols of 315 also show the plug arrow going into the receptacle arrow pointing the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back