Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If I know Hz input of a motor, how do I know RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watco

Industrial
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hello. We just installed a variable speed drive to our 1150 RPM motor. The drive has a digital readout that reads Hz. We can vary this between 0 and 60. How do I know what my resulting RPMs are for the motor?
Kevin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to know more information: motor type and number of poles, etc.

Assuming you are talking an induction motor,
Syncronous RPM = (120 * Frequency) / (# of Poles)

120 is a constant

example: RPM = 120 * 60 / 4 = 1800 RPM

Check the motor name plate -- the speed listed should correspond to the 60 Hz value (the number of poles dictates this as mentioned above -- the nameplate will adjust for any slip, instead of 1800 rpm, it may state 1750 rpm, as an example)... once you know that, you might be able to reprogram your display to show rpm (if it set up to do so)...

If you combine the above two answers, you will find that you speed varies proportional to the frequency.

So it appears that 1150 RMP is at rated frequency (50 or 60 Hz.

I assume the motor is rated for 60 hZ, then ,as an example, at 40 hz the speed should be approximately
(40/60)*1150 = 767 RPM. This of course assumes that the slip remains constant over the range of speed involved.

Comment on the previous post: Yes, 3pole=3pole-pairs. I see it often stated as 3pole meaning 3pole-pairs since the 6-pole and digit 6 requires a multiplication by 2; it means an additional explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back