Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If you had $1000 dollars which computer would you buy for CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

durablack2

Automotive
Jun 25, 2013
US
As the title says - if you had ~$1000 dollars which computer would you buy to run a CAD program such as Solidworks? I really like the look and profile of Lenova's plus I have heard good things about them. I am leaning towards something like this (16GB ram - 1TB hard drive):

I know the 1 TB hard drive is a bit much, but the extra cost is not really that significant.

Right now I will install Solidworks student edition. In the future when my student subscription expires I will install one of the less expensive CAD programs for learning and personal projects.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only issue I see is that SolidWorks may have problems running properly where the computer you've picked out doesn't have an approved graphics card. You might want to take a look at ebay for used workstations.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

Without an approved graphics card will I see issues with rendering only? Or will I encounter other problems while running solidworks? Also, is it possible to say upgrade a graphics card if I buy a laptop that comes with a graphics card that isn't approved? Or is it dependent upon machine?

Thanks.

If this is for personal use I would not worry about the graphics card too much. I have run SW on personal computers without approved graphics cards for many years. I crash a little more often than at work. The part that is harder to deal with for me is how blocky things can get when moving an assembly around. I have had 15-20 part assemblies turn into a bunch of blocks while rotating. I had actually brought some work home and the project had a circuit board inside a tapered tube. If I had the tube hidden and rotated all the components on the circuit board would turn in to blocks with none of the normal features showing. This would only happen during rotating or moving and as soon as I stopped the view would go back to normal. It can make it hard if you are trying to rotate around to look at something specific.

The crashes were not too often maybe once in a 2-3 hour working period. I would crash 1-2 in an 8 hour day at work with that release, back in 2006/7 time frame. Since then I have always had a work laptop so no need to work on my personal computer.

durablack2,

What are you paying for your copy of SolidWorks? Here in Canada, SolidWorks is $5K to $10K, depending on the add-ons. Is a cheap computer really worth it?

--
JHG

drawoh - I suspect his school is supplying the seat, so it's zero cost to the OP.

OP - as durablack2 says, you'll probably have graphics issues and could experience more crashes. On some laptops, you can swap out the graphics cards but you'll need to talk to the manufacturer to find out.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

You should be able to upgrade to a compatible card with Lenovo.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Consider buying a good used workstation with an approved graphics card. I purchased an HP Elite workstation in 2010 that was about 1 or 2 years old but was very well taken care of. I paid around $400. It still runs great I is my main home computer. I run 2010 solidworks on with no issues.

This approach does have it's drawbacks. You will need to do more homework and you need to be patient and wait for the right deal to come up.

Otherwise with respect to buying new others have already responded.

Good Luck.

Samuel

You should look at the Lenovo Laptops. They are less expensive and would probably work for what you want. However with that said the latest models they have out are not showing up on the SW website, but the video card that is installed does.

Here is a link to their latest Workstation class laptop.

I prefer Laptop over Desktops. It allows me to be more mobile, than a desktop. However what you get in the laptop is pretty much what you get. You loss some of that upgrade ability with a laptop.

I am not a big fan of Lenovo or their computer products, however I have seen over the years that they been improving their hardware. However if I didn't have the extra money to get what I want I might have to consider this route.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back