Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IGCT for SS Pipe Welds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmisra

Marine/Ocean
Jan 2, 2003
IN
It is required to carry out weldng of pipes (SS to SS) and SS to low alloy steel. I have been advised an intergrannular stress corrosion test for stainless steel weldng. A welding expert I have approached agrees that IGCT for SS to SS operatng in corrosive medium is advsable; however he disagrees with the requirement of carryng out IGCT for SS to Low Alloy steels as it would fail due to introduction of Carbon n the weld pool from the Low Alloy Steel! The PQR as per ASME codes for SS to LAS welding has been successful but ratification of the same is held up because of the question of IGCT.Can someone please advise/educate me on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KCM,
The welding expert you have approached is right that IGCT for SS to SS operating in corrosive medium is advisable. I too disagree with the requirement of carryng out IGCT for SS to Low Alloy steels as it would fail not only due to introduction of Carbon n the weld pool from the Low Alloy Steel but also the dilution effects resulting in lower Cr in the weld as compared to the ss on the other side. There is also a problem in case of sample removal, how can you isolate the HAZ on the cs/LAS side and the portion of the root closer to the CS/LAS side? Hope this answers your queries. Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
End of all knowledge is the attainment of immortality!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back