Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES and STEP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzecha

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2016
US
Is there a way in Catia to save an assembly as an IGES or STEP and have Catia create a file for each product and part inside that assembly in one step?

I know CREO has this ability, where you can change the File Structure output option to All Parts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi.

Can be done with a simple macro, as saving to STEP requires simply calling Document.SaveAs().

What is the point of having separate unlinked STEP files by the way?

I figured it would be an answer like that.

It would allow the shop to pull in the Step files directly into software that cannot read Catia files.
This becomes helpful when dealing with assemblies with GD&T in the product level and in the part level.
That way the shop can pull in the parts and see the detail level GD&T without having the assembly level GD&T in the model.

you need special catia license to get GD&T into STEP file.

Did you try 3DXML from CATIA and 3DXML viewer? or 3DPDF?

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I have the GD&T license that allows for the creation in STEP files.

I did figure out how to output every part as an individual step file, procedures as follows:
1. Go to Tools, Options, General Section, Compatibility Section, then click on STEP Tab.
2. Export Section in Step Tab, Select 214 iso in the Application Protocol (AP)
3. Select One STEP file and External references to STEP in Assemblies Section of Export.
4. Click OK and Save the product as a STEP file and there will be STEP file for every part in the tool.

I still have no idea how to do this for IGES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back