Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES Solid model surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hello

I have a solid model, imported as a solid body using an IGES source model that I have modified considerably and is part of a bigger assembly. It is constructed from 300 odd surfaces but is still a solid. Each of the surfaces are squares or triangles, such are the output of the IGes file so I have discovered.

I am wondering, since the model is going to be rapid prototyped using FDM, is there any way I can "smooth" the outer surfaces in any way to get a single surface to the solid perhaps? I'm wondering that, although the model is fairly small (about 30mm long in total) will the separate square and triangular surfaces show up in the finished model or not (I'm new to this game!)

Appreciate any advice anyone may have on this one!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rocksolid2 said:
...such are the output of the IGes file so I have discovered.

Not true. IGES can support many surface types, from planes and cylinders to complex B-surfaces and lots more. You are getting what was sent to you. If the sender had continuous surfaces to send, and the settings are correct in his application, you would get those.

If all the surfaces are triangles, I suspect what you are getting is a reprocessed STL file.

Delcam < issues a free (pay-per-translation) translating software called "PS-Exchange". This also comes in handy to review and double-check files such as IGES files.

[bat]There are two types of people in the world: the kind that believe that people can be categorized into one of two groups and the kind that don't.[bat]

lfisher, nice of you to help an' all. And I know it is kinda right on the fence line, but from the "...is the only gold..." and "we...can help..." it looks like you are presciously close to being accused of commercial selling on the forum. I realize this is a tough one to call, but maybe you ought to just leave it at a simple "Try looking at
John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back