Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iges/Step Assembly Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechdesignron

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2008
US
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has found a way to export an assembly to a univeral format such that the entire assembly is one file. The flatten option on the iges translator will do this but the file is huge. Larger than if I don't flatten but then I get all individual components. So I am looking for another option or what setting will get the file smaller.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

STEP213 Maybe what you need to try

Another way of looking at the question is to ask why in this day and age you're worried about file sizes. How big are the files and what do you intend to do with them. If it is just to send them in and e-mail or archive across the internet there are ways to compress your data, split it into seperate archives or transmit files up to 100Mb that will cost you nothing.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

I export entire assemblies to single step files on a regular basis. First, select the entire assembly and open all the components fully. Make sure everything you want in the step file is active and selectable. Anything you don't want in the step file needs to be inactive/un-selectable. Bring up your export to step window. Go to the "Data to Export" tab. Change from "entire part" to "selected objects". Select everything you want to export. Finish your other export options and export. It will give you a single step file rather than a nest of files. This also works for Iges exports as well.

BrknOne

That would work I obviously meant to say STEP203 earlier the fingers juts couldn't help themselves, but I don't think it matters these days the important thing seems to be how you select the output geometry.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back