Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Igniton wire assembly Fixture 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKirk1

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2012
US
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so I do apologize in advance if this is wrong.

I thought this would be the correct place thinking maybe some of you automotive guys had seen anything like this.
I am looking to create some type of assembly fixture to slide a 7MM ignition cable into a straight silicon boot. I have tried different types of lubricates with mixed results. I think the best solution would be some type of fixture that would open the ID of the boot and then allow the wire to slide through and then release. My biggest problem is since the ID of the boot is so small what can I use as "fingers" to spread it apart.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most connector assembly kits come with a pin remover, which is essentially a shoehorn with a handle. The remover actually wraps about 75% around the pin. Seem to me that something like that might work:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff, Thank you, that should at least give me a starting point to design something for a larger scale.
Also, Vacuum is interesting, I don't know if I have ever see this method being use to open a fitting like this. My Google searches seem to be too broad, any idea for keywords or places to point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back