Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ILI gauging tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

engresague

Mechanical
May 13, 2014
CL
Hi Sirs,

Could you give me a normative reference for the selection of the thickness of the calibrator plates in the internal inspection of pipelines.

Thank you for the attention you can give me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you expand a bit?

Do you mean some sort of calibration plate for an IP to calibrate itself on or something different?

If the former, normally this is part of the specification you issue or part of the vendors calibration procedure which he submits for your approval. I'm not aware of a normative reference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I'm sure a friendly Intelligent pig vendor can assist.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks LittleInch

I'm talking about the calibration plate of pigging tool for pipeline insternal inspection. It being known that depending on the size of the pig, the thickness of the gauging plate can be 1/8″, 1/4″, 3/8″ and 1/2″ thick. But I would like to know the most advisable way of selecting this thickness. In our case the lines are of diameters 8" and 12" and the engineering was narrow in this way within the job specifications.

I don't know I'm afraid and depends what you're trying to calibrate for.

Depends what thickness type pipe is I suppose?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Give the ILI vendor information on your pipeline, wall thickness, minimum bend radius, valve type, where you have any unbarred tees, etc. They will help you select a gauging plate thickness, and configuration of the gauge pig itself so it does not get stuck. Typically they provide these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back