Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm using an extrude to remove material for placing a hillside nozzle on a pressure vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxRox

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2015
US
This is a sheet metal part on Wildfire 5.0. I've included a picture for reference. For clarification, a "hillside" nozzle does not protrude radially from the cylindrical shell of the vessel. Instead it protrudes at an angle, allowing it to be parallel with other nozzles on the vessel without being at the same angular position on the shell. After sketching a circle in the necessary position on a plane at the center of the cylinder, I extrude it through the shell. This shell (including the nozzle holes) will be cut with plasma and then rolled. Thus, I click the button for "remove material normal to surface". Three options are available in the drop down menu:

"Remove material normal to both driven and offset surfaces"
"Remove material normal to driven surface"
"Remove material normal to offset surface"

I need the first option because the nozzle will protrude all the way through the shell to be welded. The feature fails to regenerate when I choose this option. (It works fine with the other two options.) I have changed several parameters to try to identify the problem, but I do not know the requirements or limitations of this tool. This modelling dilemma is very common within our company. I'm trying to make this easier and faster for myself and my colleagues. Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=950f303c-160d-40a9-b17d-629de27b2214&file=hillside_nozzle1.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back