Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Immediate Settlement - Burland Burbridge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myoho

Geotechnical
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi, Im writing a spread sheet to calculate immediate settlement using the Burland and Burbridge formula. However Ive come across a problem with the layer thickness correction factor, f1. The equation is as follows:

f1 = H/z1.(2-H/z1)

The problem is that when H/z1 > 2, you get a negative number, which results in a negative settlement i.e. heave.

Can anyone please confirm if this formula is correct or not.

Cheers and best wishes for the New Year.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked on the internet and found the equation - you have it correct. The equation did have a limit of useage mentioned in the previous wording in that H must be less than Z, so for your condition, you cannot use this equation.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Unfortunately not, but if you google "Burland and Burbridge immediate settlement", you will get a few links to peruse. The one I saw apparently was a textbook with all sorts of equations and test results.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Myoho,

if you email me I'm going to send you what you need:

mccoy twothousandandfor twothousandandfor at yahoo dot com

No blanks, years in numbers rather than in letters

Myoho;

Have you considered "Peck & Bazaraa" "NAVFAC method" or "D'appolonia" Just curious to know why Burland method?

In ASCE's geotechnical special publication No. 15, D'appolonia method was most accurate between predicted versus observed settlement study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back