Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imoprting an assembly and defining contact 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm447

Bioengineer
Sep 19, 2007
US
Hello! I have several parts in stl format which I can assemble together using either Geomagic or Pro/E. I wish to import these geometries into Patran and define the contact between each of the two parts. The ultimate goal is to run the model in ABAQUS. I don’t have the license for the Pro/E – Patran interface. I have several problems, and which ever one you can help with it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked through the other posts but didn’t find an answer.

- How do you import the parts together so that you are still able to pick out elements from the master and slave surfaces separately to define contact? I tried making individual Patran databases from each CAD object and importing them into the final database, but I still can not achieve what I want.

- Along the same line, how would you highlight only one object so that you can actually see which elements you are picking? I can’t really see what’s going on in the contact region because the objects are actually in contact!

- Is there a way to have Patran spit out info on the elements or nodes - belonging to the two touching objects - that are within a certain distance of each other?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rm447,

Let start by your 2nd question.

For contact, I usually create groups in Patran for all geometries. So one geometry per group. You could also create a group with all geometries so you can look at the big picture. Note that you can also multi-select groups to show them at the same time. You should also mesh the parts in those groupes as well. That way, when I defined the contact surfaces, mesh or deformable bodies, I post only one group and select the nodes, elements, surface or solid I want to include in the contact study for that geometry.

I unfortunately cannot help help you with your third question.

For the first question, here is my experience with Catia V5 models. I don't know if it is similar with STL files.

There is two way of doing it:

1st - Import directly the assembly and Patran will add into the database all the geometries and class them in separate groups.

2nd - Import each individual parts but they need to be designed in a way that their positionning in space is in regard of the same basic axis system so Patran can locate each part correctly into space.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back