Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

imort acad into sketch, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstmel

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2003
US
Ok, so I've read and followed the help files on inserting an autocad dwg into a sketch and it just doesn't seem to work, nothing inserts into the sketch. I am using inventor 6 with latest service packs and start sketch and use the insert autocad file command, follow all the steps and nothing inserts. Anyone have any success with importing into a sketch, could you tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try zooming all the way out ("Zoom All").

Sometimes, the sketch will be placed way out in space...

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Have found the problem, get this, the drawing was coming in the same color as the background so I could not see anything.

Thanks for the input.

Hi, make sure you clean up your Autocad drawing before you import it into Inventor. Explode and purge all blocks, put everything on layer 0, make sure everything is 2D only and one of the most overlooked is to choose your datum point and move your geometry to 0,0,0 and set the base there (otherwise you'll probably have to move and/or rotate the sketch once it's in Inventor). This all insures that the sketch will be clean. I like to sketch in Autocad because it's sometimes easier to get the layout down and then fine tune in Inventor. I save the Acad file in case I have to do it again. Remember to constrain as much as possible first, dimensioning will be easier to do.

once a sketch is into inventor (which may be made easier by following the above tips...), you can use the automatic dimensioning tool to help constrain it. first project the origin point of the part file into the sketch to allow you something to lock onto.

then start auto dimension, check OFF the dimension button, which means it will only apply constraints. the number of dimensions required will drop considerably. then use show constraints and you'll see it's applied a whole bunch of vertical, horizontal, colinear etc to help hold your sketch in place.

use the auto dim tool again to add dimensions and you're one step from being fully constrained...

pulling a point onto the origin, which should make your whole sketch black. then you can change parametric dimensions with (near :) ) one hundred percent predictability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back