IMPACT ( CHARPY )TESTING ON FORGED FLANGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acharya Shiva

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2017
AE
Hi Engineers ,

I have a doubt on the requirement of Impact( charpy ) Testing on the forged flanges ?

I have the flanges with ASTM A182 standard which is ready for welding , but I receivd the Material test certificate for flanges without impact ( charpy) test , is that a mandatory requirment to perfrom charpy test & provide the values on material test certificate ?

Please help me out engineers

Regards,
Shiva Prasad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of flange? What alloy of SA-182? What Code of construction? What? What? What?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Acharya Shiva, very much going to depend on your Code of construction, minimum design temperature and perhaps a host of other factors, but at a guess I'd say no impacts needed for 316/L & 625, but needed for F55.

Regards,

Mike

Edit: I doubt Alloy 625 is within SA-182

Thank SntMan ,

But may I know what do you relate construction code as ?

How can I find what code my flanges belong to ?

Yes , I agree Alloy 625 is not within ASTM 182 , It is in ASTM B564 .

Regards,
Shiva Prasad

Acharya Shiva, Code of construction: The Code, if any, to which the work is designed and constructed.

Examples, pressure vessel Codes such as ASME Sec VIII, or piping Codes such as ASME B31.3. The Code of construction will usually contain rules as to impact and other testing. The work might possibly be conducted in the absence of any such Code. A contract or jurisdictional legal requirements will normally dictate whether a given Code shall be followed.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you very much for your infor SntMan .

My product is Thermowell which will be installed in the pipelines so I think it will fall in ASME B31.3 .

Regards,
Shiva Prasad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back