Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impact loading on sidewalk shed/pedestrian walkway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

329moss

Civil/Environmental
Jun 13, 2011
GB

I'm conducting a study into the effect of impact loads on sidewalk shed as it is known in USA, pedestrian walkway in England, to protect the public from falling objects/debris.
I would like to ask if any one knows whether there is any relevant design manuals out there that can help and how i can get a copy. Finally i would appreciate if any one can direct me to relevant literature pertaining to timber structure/elements subjected to impact/dynamic loads.
Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Impact loads are not an easy subject to analyse, even when you know the magnitude of the load and the distance it is dropped upon a structure.

Clearly, it is not possible to design a pedestrian walkway for all possible eventualities. A heavy weight dropped from a high height would smash through any type of structure you could build. So it seems to me that the focus should be on the safe handling of loads so that they never occur over the walkway.

BA

moss123...BAretired is correct; however, many municipalities require some level of impact design for walkway protection.

Check the railroad industry (AREA or AREMA...can't recall which). They have criteria for items dropping from trains on trestles (brake shoes, nuts/bolts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back