Impact Simulation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan4610

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2017
GB
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of Solidworks Simulation, having only scratched the surface in the past. I'm now looking to improve my skills in this area.

I'm looking to simulate an impact test of a unit, using the Drop Test feature to do so. I have a known peak G Force level during impact, for example 50G, but that is all. Ultimately I want to subject the unit to 50G to ensure it is capable of surviving. Has anyone got any advice as to how I would set the simulation up to create this situation? I have had a go at running a simulation, which ran ok, but I am unsure as to how I check that it reached the correct G level.

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jordan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems like just doing 50g static load would do the trick. If you did a test how would you do it? I can't see doing a "drop" test to get a controlled 50 g load. I would advise if a pulse of 50g is prescribed then it would best be handled as a dynamic study. It could NL or linear depending on what's involved. The difference between a dynamic and a static study for this sort of problem is the stress amplifications induced between the stress waves interacting.

Bill McEachern, P.Eng.
Redstone Six Consulting Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back