Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Impact test ASME b 31.3 ed. 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL SUICIDA

Nuclear
Nov 25, 2021
AR
Good afternoon, My name is Rolando and I just registered. The forum is excellent!

I bring the following doubt about the table Table 323.2.2 Requirements for low temperature toughness tests for metals ASME B31.3 2020

As we can see, it has a review in table A-3 (b) (2020) where I understand that if I have a certified welding consumable with impact test I can exempt said test in the WPS qualification, for example:

If I have a material SA-333 gr 6 with manufacturing certificate and charpy according to the standard (18 J to -45) it can be welded with a consumable E 7018 -1 factory certificate with charpy (27 J to -45)
If I use this combination in my PQR, can I waive the impact test? assuming I already have a metal base and a consumable certificate with factory impact tests? (so I interpret table 323.2.2 table A-3 does not speak of the ZAC)

greetings and thanks !

RC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I interpret that if the temperature is -18 ° C or lower, I must qualify the PQR with impact in welding .... "except" if the consumables are certified with impact requirement at the same or lower temperature.

So in my case of SA 333 Gr 6 piping certified at -45 ° C (18J) using an E7018-1 electrode certified at -45 ° C (27J), can I exempt the welding impact requirement and ZAT from my PQR? taking into account that my system has a design a - 35 ° C ???

greetings and thanks for responding

HAZ is in Table 323.3.1, did you read it?
I suggest you consider the thickness, PWHT, production weld test, ... etc, etc.
We do not have full details.

Regards

I see no problem with what you are proposing. In Sec. VIII the impact tested electrode must be traced to a specific lot, but I see no mention of that in B31.3....only to AWS specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back