Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impact Tested Without PWHT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxz

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2005
CA
If a heat exchanger is made from SA-516 Gr70N, 1-1/2", MDMT at -45C for both tube and shell sides, the plate, tubesheet and nozzles are impact tested at -45C, and satisfied with energy specified, the PWHT will not be required for the exchanger. Not sure if it is true. Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe, maybe not. You should review Table UCS 56-1.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

When running COMPRESS on the above exchanger, it says PWHT is mandatory for the thickness over 1-1/4",even if Impact test is selected. I couldn't exempt the PWHT by using COMPRESS.

1. As per Note (b), Table UCS-56-1,no PWHT is required if preheat over 95C is performed.
2. As per UCS66 and 68: SA-516 Gr70N on curve D will have -26C impact test exemption temperature. if PWHT is performed, 17C can be credited, subtotal of MDMT will be -43 C(-26-17). If stress ratio designed gives some MDMT reduction, say -2C, then final MDMT can reach -45C. In this calculation, PWHT is required.
3. If all pressure components are impact tested at -45C, no PWHT is required.
Based on the knowledge of code, PWHT is required or not? Maybe or Maybe not? or both are acceptable?

PWHT provisions of UCS-66, 67, 68, etc. do not affect PWHT required by UCS-56.

IF required preheat is performed AND if ALL materials are impact tested at -45C, I'd say no PWHT required PROVIDED qualified lo-temp weld procedures are used.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SZX,

Also if you see code, preheating is required for thickness within range of 1.25 to 1.5in and above 1.5in PWHT is mandatory.

In compress as far i know there is no provision to consider Pre-heating for thickness within 1.25in to 1.5in.
Hence, it might be considering PWHT directly for thickness above 1.25in which is you case i guess.

Secondly,if PWHT is mandatory as per code than you cannot take the advantage of it for impact testing (to determine MDMT)

Compress does have an option somewhere that accounts for preheating material from 1.25-1.5" thickness.

I can't remember where it is, I think it's in the "Set Mode Options" dialogue somewhere. Unfortunately all of our Compress licenses are currently in use, so I can't look it up for you...

Edit: Here it is:
Preheat_yetljj.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back