Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impeller Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2001
ZA
I was wondering if anyone could help me with improving the TDH of a standard End suction pump with a closed impeller?
A brief history:
The pump has a full size impeller
The speed conforms to the speed of the sales curve.
The Pump delivers 5m head lower then the performance curve ..at Shutoff head.
Any info would help greatly!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked the wear on the impeller wear rings? Verify the correct clearange bewteen the impeller inlet shroud OD and the pump casing inlet wear ring ID. If it were a semi-enclosed impeller, then check the impeller end clearance.

You did not provide anywear near enough info so we can only wildly guess. Wear ring clearances as butelja suggested often cause performance loss and the smaller the pump and the lower the Ns of the pump the more effect wear ring clearances have.

What hp and what rpm, NPSHA vs. NPSHR, Pump Nss and Ns, impeller diameter? Whatever you have would help.

PUMPDESIGNER

Also, make sure your calc's are correct (adjusted to centerline of the pump). Some pump manufacturers calculate the performance of the pumps they publish, so it isn't uncommon to find one "out-of-spec". Also, they only guarantee one performance point, not the whole curve.

Also, what type of drive. I assume direct and not magnetic.

I doubt Trojan is still watching this thread, the last time they are showing as logging in to the site is October 24, 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back