Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Implantable Electrical Connectors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francesca27

Bioengineer
Jan 8, 2007
AU
I am searching for implantable electrical connectors that will be used to power a LVAD (left ventricular-assist device). Does anyone have any ideas about what type of connectors would be moisture proof and biocompatible? Would you recommend a screw-type device or a snap-lock-type system or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mike,

Thank you for replying to my post. I'm sorry I don't understand how an induction coil could be used in this application. I was looking into physical connectors that would snap shut or something like that. But there are so many types of electrical connectors available. Does anyone know which ones are used in for example pacemakers?

The few pacemakers I have seen, more than ten years ago, used titanium setscrews tightened onto titanium ferrules welded to trifilar titanium pacing wires. The connectors were total custom, not sold commercially. The power connections were inside the seal welded titanium case with the battery.

I think some units use transcutaneous paired induction coils to reprogram the core, and maybe recharge the batteries, but I am not intimately familiar with those details. I suggested the idea because induction coils can be sealed fairly well, and can transfer energy over limited distances without exposing metal to a chemically active environment.

They can also potentially be engaged and disengaged with little skill. One of the major design challenges that the pacemaker manufacturer bragged about was production of a snap- action torque wrench that could be used to tighten the setscrews by a person with gloved hands and little mechanical skill. By which I certainly don't mean that surgeons can't do wonderful things with their hands, but most of them don't work on engines and such, and don't know when a screw is 'tight enough but not too tight' by feel.

Many, maybe most, modern automotive connectors are weathertight and have no exposed metal parts, so they'd probably work okay for a while, in say, a dog. I'm sure the materials used are not certified biocompatible, and I'm also sure the manufacturers would not be interested in a low-volume high-liability application such as you propose. I.e., there are ideas out there that you could probably adapt without challenge, but when/if things go wrong, you're on your own.

While I have been away from medical electronics, things may have changed. Maybe someone is producing the connectors you need already, but I am not aware of any.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Francesca27
Try Oscor . They have deferent types of leads and associated tools. However if you need something different to what they have you may need to design one for your self. If you need help with this let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back