Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import a solid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoFr

Bioengineer
May 22, 2006
FR
Hello !

Is it possible to import a mesh as a solid in ADAMS? I would like to create contact between two elements but it is not possible with .stl parts.

(I hope my english is understandable [PONDER] )

Thanks ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So far as I can tell there is no meaningful way to import a solid. You could easily write a macro to create a Part and a set of markers based on your solid model.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to explain what you are trying to do in more detail.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

More accurately, you can import a solid file, eg iges, but it has no physical meaning, it is just a graphical entity that gets attached to a pre-existing part.

Amazingly enough the command (in View) is File Import.

Bear in mind that if you do this ADAMS does not have solid part 1 hitting solid part 2, it has a marker on part 1 which has a defined relationship with a marker on part 2. If you want to have parts hitting each other then you have to model the parts themselves in ADAMS from primitive shapes, and then tell them that they can collide with each other. The modelling step is easier said than done for complex parts. Your execution time will increase drastically.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Well, thanks for the star, bu have a look at

You are now able to import STEP and IGES geometries as ADAMS/View solids. These solids
will have an analytical representation instead of the polygonal representation that used
to be created. This allows you to perform the following operations on the imported
geometry (without the need to wait for the time consuming process of converting
shells to solids):

a) Performing mass properties calculations
b) Applying geometrical changes (Boolean operations, creating
fillets and chamfers ¿etc.)
c) Using in contact analysis.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Hello
I did simulation of contact between two imported solids. Everything seems be great. Unfortunately biggest problem that I see is:
Parameters for contact property!
Adams has two possibility of contact definition:
First: by Impact

Generally for a steel we are use stiffness 100 000 N/mm (don’t ask why :)
Question is what we should establish as Force Exponent, and Damping ……
I am searching information about that, what

By restitution
Here we should establish Penalty parameter and Restitution Coefficient.

This is nothing complicated just contact analysis but nobody have information what we should put there for steel material or rock (for example!)

Best regards
Mat.
(skype: mattgolabekeu)

Impact method: e =1.5 to 3. your k seems a bit high to me but with solids that may be appropriate. d you'd best tune to get realistic ringing.

Restitution method is non-preferred for long term contact. Restitution coeff needs to be established by physical experiment. Penalty coeff should be as large as possible without causing numerical problems.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Hello
Default value is 2.2
As I know this value is responded for curvature of "damping". I must check influence of this for analysis result. Everybody tell me that is very hard to find experimental value for such analysis. That’s true ? but it is not impossible. I have seen already that! Probably in Marc or Ansys script. ……….
Best regards
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back