Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importance of Material Properties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jongyonkim

Electrical
Aug 3, 2006
US
Hi,

I'm simulating the bending of a sheet of (amorphous, poly)silicon of ~300um in thickness.

Currently, I have the following material properties
density
young's modulus
poisson's ratio

I consider 2% strain the breaking point (my definition of "damage"), which can be obtained from LE (logarithmic Strain) or when it reaches the yield stress/strength.

I could also input yield strength and plastic strain, but if I did this, how would I know when the material has "yielded"? (when Mises reaches Yield strength?)

Is this considered "enough" to study the bending behavior of silicon? Which properties do you think are considered "minimum/essential" material properties? (I'm an electrical engineer, so I don't have too much insight in mechanical properties).

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Besides Mises reaching the initial yield strength,
when material yields
- the components of the plastis strain (PE) tensor become non-zero.
- the equivalent (accumulated) plastic strain PEEQ becomes non-zero.
- the plastic dissipated energy ALLPD (in history) becomes non-zero

The material properties depend on the constitutive behavior (i.e. stress=function(strain, history parameters)) you want to use. In turn a specific constitutive behavior can be more or less suitable for a material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back