Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing 2d layouts from autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidCreative

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2004
CA
What is the best way to import a 2d floor plan into solidworks? Something that wont hog sys resources would be nice.

thanks for any suggestions

Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure this is the best method, but I use copy/paste. While in AutoCAD I window the selection I want to copy, then in SolidWorks I open a new part and paste. So far this has worked. Like I said I'm not sure this is the best method.

In my opinion, the best way (if you have time and patience) is to start over, especially if you'll want to transform it to 3D afterwards.

Otherwise, just open the cad file with SW and follow the steps. It will ask you whether you want to put it in a drawing or a part (it is going to appear as a sketch then).

this layout is more for reference of assembly locations. conveyors, robots, loading bins. I need to creat a main assembly inorder to export them all relative to each other into a simulation package. The layout is just for reference, it doesnt even need to be sketch entities.

because the layout is so large with many layers, it bogs down the sys when copying and pasting into a part file

If it's purely for reference (no dimensioning or accurate placements) then you could place it as a Sketch Picture on a plane in SW. Can you get a decent "print-screen" image of the layout from ACAD?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Export each layer as a dxf/dwg and import each individual layer as a new sketch into your part, if a layer is still big create sketch blocks from it. Make a folder with all the sketches for reference, hide/show them as needed. Fix this part as the first part in your assembly and use its sketches for mating references.

RFUS

I like markruble's method. You only copy what you need. To open a dwg in SW from ACAD, you get a lot of junk that works very slow.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

I agree copy and paste is faster, yet when pasting the copied entity I can't always get repeatability on placement, especially when doing it in various sketches, and I end up having to use move sketch, and which with big sketches this can take a while. At least when I import them separately into a plane through the insert dxf/dwg I know they will all come in positioned correctly.

RFUS

copy n paste works well, but it takes alot of resources when each line is a sketch entity. In this case it doesnt need to be, and the layout is quite large and detailed

or...
In ACAD turn off the layers you do not want to import to SW. In SW, create new part, select plane, go to Insert/DWG DXF, browse to DWG.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

In ACAD, save a copy of your drawing, and delete and purge the items you do not need. Or in ACAD, Tools > Display Image > Save, then choose .bmp or .tif. While in a sketch, Tools > Sketch Tools > Sketch Picture. I usually make a sketch just for the image I want to trace over, so I can suppress it later if I want.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

has any got this error when converting a layout to solidworks?

16159 points were out of modelling limit.

then it doest create anything at all.

Is it because the layout is to big?

I think there are still limitations to SW working area... isn't it like 1024 meters centered on the Origin?

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You may have to go into ACAD & check that there are no stray points, sketches or whatever in the outer fringes of the drawing.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back