Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing and modifying a .igs file

Status
Not open for further replies.

superart

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2009
US
I have imported a .igs file into Pro/E wildfire 4. The part I am working with has a hole in it with a rounded edge. I am trying to fill in the hole. How would I go about doing this?

I tried doing an extrusion to sort of "plug it up", but that doesn't really solve the problem. This way, it is a part with a plug in it. I need the entire part to be solid. Basically, I am trying to "delete" this hole.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With WF, there ia no other way to 'fill' a hole of an imported part.
You have no 'definition' of the hole so the system has no way to know how to fill it.
There are other software tools that can take the surfaces and move them to fill the hole.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Is this a customer file? Is there a chance of getting the part as a step file, or parasolid file? Anymore, I always try to get step or parasolid solid models, versus Iges surface models. Much easier to work with.

David

No, this is the only file they have, and they are not even sure what program was used to make it.

Looslib, what software would you suggest to edit the surfaces? I tired using solidworks first, and it didn't even load the file right. Had lots of errors.

CorBlimeyLimey, no, it does not let me select and delete individual surfaces. I can select a surface or edge, and I can use it as a reference, but it wont let me delete it (or maybe I just am doing it wrong). I tried selecting it, and hitting the delete key. It didn't work. And no contextual menu pops up if I select and right-click.

Doesn't WF4 have the edit defination of a imported feature<right click model tree>

which allows you to edit >del the holes surface then geometry>heal geometry>manual

edit boundry>del contour....

a bunch!! of picks mind you...

then edit> feature properties> make solid

I can do this in WF2..just did

cadcamguy, I tried out your suggestion. I did the right click and edit definition. then the edit>delete and deleted the hole surfaces. That worked out well, thanks.

But I couldn't find the heal geometry option. What I did was select the edges of the hole on the outside of the part (after deleting all the surfaces) and use the "remove" option. This fixed the hole on the outside. However, it did not work on the other side of the hole, so that is still open. I am trying different things for that, and am not sure why it is not working on the other side when it worked on the outside.

not sure being on WF2 and all but don't you have a drop down menu called geometry also?

I list out as file: edit<where you got the del command> :view :insert: geometry; there you should be able to access Heal geometry> manual> Edit Bndy>sel surface> del contour.. from there you should get the (choose) -accept -next.... ( next till you get what you want).. then accept

at least that's they way it works in WF2....Can't say it's the same in WF4 ..one would think so

as long as you stay in edit defination of the iges import feature ..... if you "X" out it will return back to the original.. fwiw..not like it's a big deal to del and re-import... blind hole is a little easier as you can just del that surface

I don't see a "remove" in WF2

I did in in WF4 at Tampa last year. There is a utility in WF4 to make an IGES parametric. Then you can delete it ot modify it. If that does not work download CoCreate PE free from PTC. It will modify any IGES or step since it is not history based editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back