Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing AutoCAD DWG file into I-DEAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnpike

Automotive
Apr 12, 2009
US
I am attempting to import an AutoCAD dwg file into I-DEAS, but I keep getting a message stating, "Error in filing". I have already removed any spaces in the name and path, but that has not helped. I also saved the ACAD drawing to an earlier version (R14) of ACAD, but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where is your File Located at? You need to make sure it is not on your desktop. Like you said make sure there is no wierd stuff in the name of the file like spaces / \ , or anything like this. Put this file in your scratch directory. What does a DXF do for you?

I was able to get the file in by converting it to a DXF file. Was able to model the part, but now have a new problem. I can't export the model as an Iges file. It shuts I-DEAS down after this message: "Open I-DEAS initialization failed because ORB initialization timed out. The most likely reason for this is that one of the Orbix services is not responding. It is recommended that you terminate I-DEAS immediately and check whether the Orbix services are working. Click OK to terminate I-DEAS." I checked my services and the only one related to I-DEAS is the Resource Locking service. Looks like I am missing some files.

Try making an IGES file like this

In the I-Deas prompt window type the following

/xto co bo fc ex

This is an old Iges translation that is sort of hidden.

Thank you! That worked great. I was able to open it in Rhino which is what my customer uses so I can take the rest of the day off! I am glad to have discovered this forum. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back