Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing dwg and geometric tolerancing symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicsteve

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2001
US
I having problems with importing (and exporting) Autocad 2d drawing files to Solid edge 'dft' formats. In particular all of the 'geometric tolerancing' symbols are lost or replaced by garbage. Does anyone know of proper solid edge settings to import/export this information? Other dimensions (etc.) import just fine.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if this will help but you can try this. I have found that I have problems importing autoCad .dwg but don't have the problem with autoCad .dfx files. Whenever I have converted SE files for someone for autoCad I'm told the .dfx files translated better.

What version of SE are you using? The translator has changed over the versions so pin-pointing a workflow that will help you is dependant on the version you are running.

The other hint is to look in your SEACAD file (the config file used to control translation options). (I apologize for not remembering the file extension.) After making a copy of this file for backup, open it in notepad. Trial and error until you get the right settings.

Note: This file gets modified when you use the import wizard. When you select open, highlight the dwg file to open. DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK OR TAP OK. With the dwg file selected, click on options. This brings up the import wizard to play around with settings. Not all SEACAD file settings are controlled by the wizard, but most are. That's why you may have to open the SEACAD file to tweak it.

I'm running SE version 14. Any idea what should be changed in the translator 'ini' file in order to import the geometric tolerancing symbols.

By the way I looked to Unigraphics site and others have had this problem but I have yet to see any solution posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back