Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing dxf from wildfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrandamgt

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hey all,
I am having a bit of a problem. When i import a dxf that was created from wildfire, the splines/curves are incorrect. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a drawing you're exporting from WF? Splines and Curves should come across in the part translation.

Below is a cut out of an article on modeler tolerances

If the gaps between edges and faces become too large, solid-modeling programs can become confused about the boundaries of the model. The system can no longer distinguish the inside of a part from the universe around it. In such cases, the user might receive a message that the model is "corrupted." Consequently, all systems employ a strategy for computing the maximum allowable gap, or "tolerance zone," between an edge and the two faces it bounds. Unfortunately, different systems employ different strategies for computing this tolerance.

Pro/Engineer employs a variable tolerance model. The maximum gap is a fraction of the total model size. So for large models, such as jet engines, Pro/E allows larger gaps, while for small models, such as watch parts, only small gaps are permitted. The relative tolerance model is a clever one, and it enables Pro/E to run fast. Unfortunately, no other major CAD firms have adopted this strategy.

The Parasolid kernel employed by Unigraphics, SolidWorks, Solid Edge, and Microstation employs a concept called "tolerant modeling." The tolerance is fixed, but larger gaps may be permitted on a face-by-face basis.

The difference in tolerance strategies causes problems when translating geometry from one system to another. Models coming from Pro/Engineer or Unigraphics may have gaps that aren't acceptable to CATIA or SolidDesigner. The reverse is also true: Models from fixed tolerance systems may be unacceptable to Pro/E or UG if they contain gaps that are too large.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

I think what pgrandamgt is referring to is similar to my problem. When inserting a dxf into a sketch (dxf is usually from adobe illustrator), I often see that the curvature of imported splines is incorrect. The endpoints are in the right spot, but insted of being a graceful arc, I've got something that looks slightly melted. Neither units nor stitching is the problem.

-b

I am pretty sure that the units are correct. Everything else is correct in the file. The lines and arcs are all correct size and position.

Yes, it is a 2D drawing in wildfire when it is exported to dxf. The sizes of these dxf's are nothing oversized. One example is a part that is 6" x 6".

Heckler,
My problem is that i am recieving dxf's from a customer that is using wildfire. When i open the dxf, the lines and arcs are correct size and position. The splines/curves are incorrect, similar to what bvanhiel was explaining. the start and end points are correct, but in between, it is something different. Don't really know how it has created what it has...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back