Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing from ETABS to SAFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

djzzz

Structural
Dec 7, 2013
Dear All,
I have doubt on importing a file from ETABS to SAFE. While doing this there are 3 options
1) Export Floor loads only
2)Export Floor loads & loads above
3)Export Floor loads plus column & wall distortions
what does these 3 options denote.
Here i am designing the slab as a flat slab with perimeter beams. I need to find the slab reinforcement for a floor. which is the right option that I need to choose
Kindly help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SOrry for asking but I dont understand etabs and safe interoperability?
When using ETABS you cannot design plate elements at all and because of this you must export them to SAFE?

Well here normally what we do is that we create the building model in ETABS and we import the floor slab to the SAFE and we get the reinforcement. In ETABS we cannot do the Slab element.

R U shure you cannot draw slab elements in ETABS?
I thought ETABS was all in one building analysis solution?!
That why I dont understand usage of SAFE?

What I meant is that we will get the stress value of the slab in ETABS but design part it is better to import to SAFE. We will get reinforcement details and also we could do the foundation design also

SO analysis in ETABS and for design you export to SAFE?
FOundation design meaning what?
Allowable bearing pressures or modulus of subgrade design under olate elements?

STAAD has a very nice foundation analysis plugin STAAD FOUNDATION:
watch the video presentation.
Basicly you are able to analyze foundation according to bearing pressure checks, variable load combinations...
Is this possible with ETABS and SAFE, or you only have abbitly to apply modulus of subgrade reaction under the footings ad then manualy interpret results?

Unless you have a pirated version of SAFE, CSI offers customer support.

I would select option 1 for what you are using.

Frankly, I don't like bringing in all of the loads directly from ETABS to SAFE. If you are attempting to design a conventional footing with high overturning (no soil uplift iteration), then it gets very clumsy and demanding on your processor to be designing multiple grade beams and solving that iteration for a series of frames possibly in different directions with gobs and gobs of load combos.

I realize it is more effort, but I like to grab the loads from each frame line, and bring that into SAFE. Doing this also allows me to review the output carefully for any garbage output. 9 times out of 10, I see something wrong in the output, and then find an error in the model.. .(okay maybe not 9 out of 10, but often!)

Just clicking, transform loads.. scares me.. unless you really study what output it is bringing over I don't like that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back