Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing from Excel into P6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoachCSR

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2009
US
Hi all,

My company is currently considering creating an estimating spreadsheet which will feed data into our various project controls software packages - including P6. We would write a macro to "translate" the data into the formats required for each software package to successfully import it.

I don't yet have much experience importing from Excel into P6. From what I have gathered so far from a cursory search in the help file and some trial and error runs with a "dummy" schedule, it appears that Excel spreadsheets are intended to update existing projects only - I was hoping to build a new schedule with one.

What experience do any of you have in utilizing the Import from Excel functionality? What online resources, if any, would you suggest that I could use to expand my horizons with this functionality?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For anyone else who has this issue, I was able to figure out my problem. The version of P6 I was using, version 16.2, had a known bug in which you couldn't import properly from Excel into P6. An upgrade resolved my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back