Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing geometry from Catia v5 to Fluent v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctcon

Aerospace
Dec 23, 2003
GB
Hello all! Im a new member and have so far found this website most helpful. Its great to see so many helpful people exist. [thumbsup2]

My problem....
Im using Catia v5r7 and want to import a drawing i have done into the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) Software package Fluent v6.0.
Can any1 tell me how this can be done so i can analyse the airflow over the body.
Thanx in advance [i hope! :eek:)]

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Chris,
To solve your pb:
First step:under CATIA, make an .IGES export of the drawing.
Second step:make an .IGES import under GAMBIT (Fluent meshing tool, provided along with the Fluent licence).
Third step:mesh correctly (depending of what you want to get with the calculation) the "surface" geometry you've got under GAMBIT (typically the .IGES format gives only the surface elements of the geometry. If you're dealng with a volume, you've got to build the volume under GAMBIT yourself). After meshing, make an .MSH export of the mesh to Fluent.
Finally:Under Fluent, make an "file/open/case/your_mesh.MSH" and specify your boundary conditions to solve the problem.
regards.
salem.

Hello!
I am stil in the process of learning to use Gambit and therefore am not sure as to how I would correctly mesh the model, although I was able to import it as an IGES file.
Ideally I wish to make a 2D analysis in Fluent and then, possibly a 3D analysis of the fluid flow.
Can anyone suggest the easiest way to import my 3D model from Catia into Fluent as a 2D profile? and ytherefore also as a 3D model/profile for additional analysis.

Many thanks.

Hello!
Is it possible to Mesh a 3D model in Catia v5r10? (or v5r7)?
I am currently faced with trying to mesh the geometry in Gambit (Meshing Tool provided with Fluent), although this seems a long winded way of doing it.

If so can this mesh then be imported into Fluent?

Any help would be grately recieved.
ctcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back