Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing jpg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevechel

Industrial
Sep 14, 2010
US
I lost a 2d drawing I was making in CadKey 19, due to a computer malfunction. I have the drawing in a PDF format
which I sent to a friend who converted it to JPG for me.
I have a second computer with KEYCREATOR 6.5.2 on it. which the jpg copy is on in an email. I could not figure out how to convert either the pdf or jpg to a 2D format I can use
in either the cadkey 19 or the KeyCreator 6.5.2. Can it be done?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steve,
Sorry for the bad news, but I am quite sure that it can't be done. Once it is converted to an image, or even pdf, the file looses its geometric data. It may be possible to import an image into a CadKey drawing allowing you to trace it for at least a rough drawing of the geometry, but the dimensional properties will be lost.
-AAFuni

Can you access the Cadkey 19 computer's hard drive? There may be a back up still there. Older versions could be set to save unlimited back ups with an ASV extension in the same folder as the PRT file. I do not recall if the default was auto save or not. Tracing off either the pdf or jpg is a pain. Programs that convert images to DWG may not be the timesaver they first appear since the turn every little thing into a piece of a line. Text, everything. So I end up re-drawing everything anyway.

For future reference:

File > Import > Image > Files of type > jpg.

Check the Options button!

Tip: Set your construction Plane to 1, Construction Depth to something less than zero. After import, you can reset depth to zero and trace over the top of the bitmap or use it for visual reference only. Also, if you don't get the scale exactly right, draw a line of specific length, then measure features on the bitmap drawing that you have a dimension for. Compute the ratio, and if you have to reimport the bitmap using the calculated scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back