Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Masonry Shear walls into RAM Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcacciat

Structural
Oct 21, 2013
US
Hello All,

My first posting here - I have a question regarding RAM Elements specifically. I am designing a structure with a precast plank on steel beam floor system, and CMU shear walls for a lateral system. I am using RAM Steel to design the gravity portion of my structure, and I have modeled the entire lateral system in RAM Frame. However since Frame cannot design masonry, I am attempting to export the lateral system to RAM Elements.

I have successfully imported the lateral walls into RAM frame, but the lateral loads come in as point loads applied to a new node at (what I assume is) the center of rigidity of each diaphragm. It does this regardless of whether I specify a rigid or semi-rigid diaphragm. Does anyone know of a way to have RAM distribute the lateral loads to the shear walls based on their stiffness, so that I can design the walls using the Masonry wall module in Elements?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never been able to do that - It will always bring the loads in with the assumption of a rigid diaphragm from RAM Structural System to RAM Elements. If you are trying a semi-rigid diaphragm, you could model the diaphragm out of shells and remove the rigid diaphragm restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back