Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

importing-moving default planes, or origin-is it possible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsht

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
When I import from other systems, SW makes up its own origin, and xyz planes with no regard to the geometry. Is there a way to move the planes, origin, or move the imported geometry to the standard planes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't move the SW Origin or the planes and to my knowledge there is no way to move the imported geometry either.

You could have the person who made the file, move the geometry to their XYZ 0,0,0 then export it out to you.

I think SW puts the geometry in the same place that it is located in the other program it was exported from. I have some files that are located on the origin and some that are not. The ones that are not are because of the user that exported from the other CAD system had the geometry away from the origin point.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Workaround:

Once the data is imported, create a coordinate system that maches the way you would like your data to be oriented w.r.t. base datums. Export the data again (Save As) to a neutral format (parasolid is best). When you do the export, you can set the coordinate system to use under "Options" in the Save As menu. Set this to your new coordinte system. When you reimport your data, it will have a new alignment.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Hey Tick,
Thanks for the "tick tip", and I really liked the title of it, "Workaround". I prefer that Solidworks has workarounds, rather than the last system that I used which had "take it or leave its".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back