importing old folders into team center - new admin, new system, 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manifolddesigner

Automotive
Apr 29, 2009
US
Hello all,
Forgive me, I couldn't find this information posted. I'm a serial mechanical engineering contractor and have used NX and teamcenter for a couple years as a user, but I'm finding myself now an admin.
I'd like to import about 4000 NX prt files and another thousand or two sim and Fem files into teamcenter (our company's first foray w/ tc). Currently they're structured into a folder structure w/ 1100 folders.
Our users would kiss and hug me if they just booted up teamcenter on monday and saw the same list of folders and parts as were in the old system.

Is there a way to import a large group of parts into team center and maintain the folder structure?

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In TC, folders do not exist; at least not in the traditional "file-system" sense. You can create "folders" to group files by type, project, user, etc but they are really just meta tags for the datasets. I don't know of a way to create the tags during the import process, but then again, I'm no TC expert.

The following articles may help with your migration process:

Typical PLM systems have 'folders' but like Cowski says they aree only meadata pointers to allow the user to think they are seeing folders. Windchill and TeamCenter are both this way.

If you files are not yet in TC, then see if there is a bulk loader program that can load the files in background into TC. It may have an option for setting the folders where the files are to be 'placed'. You may have to create the folders as part of the bulk loader run.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back