Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing parts to abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senad83

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2007
NO
Hey,

I've imported an IGES file from ANSA to ABAQUS/CAE. The result is an invalid part. I've tried to repair it with geometry repair tools, but it dosn't work. Do anybody know which is the best file to import (for parts) and how I can make the part precise and valid?

Kind Regards

Senad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Senad,

Abaqus uses ACIS (*.sat) in its kernel. That is my first choice. After that I use IGS, STEP (*.stp or *.step), or ParaSolid (*.x_t or *.x_b). If you get an error that Abaqus can not read the file make sure that Abaqus supports the version of the file. You may need to export in an older format. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Senad,

Abaqus/CAE has great difficulty in importing IGES files. There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the IGES file. If available import the IGES file into a CAD system and re-export it as Rob suggests as an ACIS file, if that is not an option then try a step file or a parasolid file. Failing that get another pre and post processor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back