Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing rendered images into drawing files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftersteve

Industrial
Apr 21, 2006
US
New Solidworks user here. Trying to import a fully rendered image as shown in my "Part" drawing into a "Drawing" file... And NOT as a link to another program.

I want to be able to import a full color image into a drawing and place leaders and text into the drawing for illustrative purposes and then print them. So far, all I've been able to do is bring in black and white images into my drawing files. Any way to bring in a fully rendered image?

ALso, how come my hidden line views just plain OMIT lines that should be there in my drawing files even after I've activated the "show hidden edges" command in the drawing? Any way to fix this or a good way to "fudge" the missing lines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your "fully rendered image" from your part file, or from another program? What type of image (file extension) is it?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

The image I want to use is directly from my solidworks part file .prt

Why not just insert your part into your drawing and make a view, then change it to rendered?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
AutoCAD 06

Do you mean rendered as in using Photoworks, or rendered as in "shaded" or "shaded with edges" (which really isn't rendered)? If a rendering, then save the image as a jpg, then insert it into the drawing. If shaded or shaded with edges, then make a drawing view and pick the shaded or shaded with edges tool button.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

This is a "shaded in shadowed mode" image as shown in a .prt file. I tried where I made a new named drawing view and then tried to bring that into my drawing (.SLDDRW)file, but same thing.. the image I get is black and white, not colored.

When in a drawing file (.SLDDRW), the icons that change the view rendering (wireframe, hidden line, hidden line removed, shaded, shaded with shadow) is grayed out as though they are not optional for me to use.

I'm either stumped or stupi...

The "show hidden edges" function will not work on OLE images.

If you have a drawing open, just drag & drop the .sldprt file into it. The drawing view(s) will be automatically created, then you can select whichever viewing mode (Wireframe, HLV, HLR, Shaded With Edges or Shaded), you need for each view.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

I agree.
shiftersteve, What video card do you have?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
AutoCAD 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back