Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing Staad pro CE model to RISA 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac0609

Civil/Environmental
Sep 24, 2022
US
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you are able to import a Staad pro CE model into RISA 3D. I only need the geometry model to import to RISA 3D , I can just input the load cases myself.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm familiar with Staad Pro, but I don't know what the CE stands for?

RISA added a STAAD import utility into the program decades ago (before I even started working there). It was based on the Text file format used for STAAD-III. It hasn't been updated much since then. But, I believe it still works pretty well with STAAD Pro files.

The way I know how to do it is use the File - Import - STAAD File as shown in the image below:

STAAD_Import_hfvidn.png

Hi Josh,

It seems RISA-3D doesn't know how to handle the dash when STAAD.Pro's input file uses it to continue a line of code to the next line, so several of my loads aren't coming into RISA-3D.

Any solution on getting all of the loads to come across properly?

Thanks so much!

Jochav52802 -

That's interesting, I know when RISA first introduced the STAAD import file, RISA often could import files that the STAAD-III interface had screwed up. That was back in the STAAD-III days, I believe and they had developed a windows interface that if you opened a STAAD file that used "generation" codes to create multiple nodes or elements or such, it would re-save it with a "run-on" line that the interface would not be able to read back in. So, all you had to do was open a file and re-save it (without even making any changes) and your file was screwed up. Ugh!

I don't have any specific solutions. Just possible questions and explanatory comments.

Maybe you can manipulate the ASCII file to have longer lines instead of wrapping around to the next line. Come to think of it, that sounds similar to the STAAD issue that I talked about from the old STAAD-III days.

My impression is that RISA hasn't been updating the STAAD import much lately. That was certainly true the last few years that I worked there. But, I don't know anything about what they've been doing since November of 2017 (when I left RISA). You might contact their support group and request an update that could allow RISA to properly read in the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back