Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing terrain elevation data into Solidworks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

braverutherford

Bioengineer
Apr 8, 2004
US
I'd like to create a 3D map model from public terrain elevation data (national elevation dataset [NED] or digital elevation model [DEM] data). The available data seems to be configured for other specialized (and expensive) software packages.

1. Has anyone ever done anything like this using known converters or other import methodologies?

I'm currently perusing a workaround: I've found a converter to change NED or DEM data into three separate text files which each contain a row of numbers representing x y and z coordinates. with a little work in excel I can merge these into several .sldcrv text files, import into SW by insert>curve>thruxyz, and loft a surface through curves, but this would be tedious for several hundred curves.

2. If I must use the workaround, can anyone suggest the best way to streamline it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest trying Matlab or similar to massage the data. It could even be used to fit a NURBS surface and exported as a IGS.

You could probably write a SW script to create the curves and then a boundary surface though the created curves.

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

you are working way to hard.

I used to run a 5-axis CNC machine and cut 3d elevation models and globes.

Solidworks was only used in my creation of these models to lay out the stock to a graphics stl and do prints of the stock. It is a NURBS modeler. Elevation data is in polygons, and these models are huge. Solidworks can handle small numbers of polys or points, and a few more with scan to 3d. Sure, you could make curves over the points and loft them. That would be pretty heavy on the system.

Here are the only two packages you need, and maybe only this first one, as Ray Gardiner included the GDAL library, which took away my need for Global Mapper.
Daylon Leveller (this program rules)
Global Mapper

If you need to check your models with terrain overlay or convert to other formats, I would recommend this:

You can use these, vs the very expensive ESRI packages. I've tried every other package out there and these two are the best for creating models and including overlays, scaling the models, cleaning things up. You can do just about anything with leveller.

You really need to understand the type of data you are working with though, and what SolidWorks does well, and doesn't do well. Would you use a hammer to put in a screw?

Also, if you are 3d printing these, you may need to use .wrl format in your export to include the overlay with the 3d print. You can send thes to a Zcorp.

If you are cutting these, I would recommend looking into this:
(this has a nice stl and dxf import. If you ever learn some of the advantages to dxf export in leveller, I would use this trial version to convert to stl, as dxf is huge and heavy)
Or an expensive CAM that handles polys is here:

Were I looking for a simple way to make a 3d print of a place on this earth, without knowing anything about GIS or working with 3d terrain, I might consider this:

I just saved you a lot of time. You're welcome.

rfus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back