Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing UG NX3 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcar11

Military
Sep 9, 2009
US
I know that I've done this before but I cannot figure out how to import my Unigraphics files into ProE. Can someone help me figure out the 'one stupid step' that I'm forgetting?

Thanks,
dcar11

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Direct import?
Translator import?

Direct Import
Environment variable loaded
File type set to UG part
UG installed on your workstation

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for responding looslib.

I believe that this is a direct import. ...I just want to use ProE to open up NX3 files.

1) Environment variable loaded? ...clueless. I wouldn't even know where to look. UG is my 'normal' operating system. Though I don't know anything about environment variables there either.

2) File type set to UG part? Yes

3) UG installed on my workstation? NO. Does the ProE station also have to have UG loaded on it? I would've thought that I could go to the server and open the UG files from our data directory.

Thanks,
d

When I tested the PTC direct UG to Pro/E custom interface in 2005, the system had to have both UG and Pro/E installed.

There was a config.pro setting (not an env var, sorry) telling WF where the UG/NX loadpoint was.

It was also an extra cost module, about $9K, I think.

The UGS Pro/E to NX direct import only required the license (extra $). You did not need WF on the NX workstation. I provided John Baker with WF2 test parts when it was being tested in late 2005.

Ben Loosli

Hey looslib,

I could swear that I had opened up a UG file on the ProE tube over here. The ProE tube DOES NOT have UG on it. I really thought that it was just a "FILE" > "OPEN" type of thing with the file type set to ".prt". I was assuming that I had just missed a 'click'. Now I'm wondering if I NEVER opened a UG part on the ProE tube but just imported a parasolid from UG??? ...not sure.
Thanks for your help, dcar11

WF can open parasolid export files without special licensing.

Ben Loosli

looslib,

Does UGS have a NX viewer that can be used to allow Pro/E to open the UG files? I know for programs like SolidWorks to open Inventor files there is an inventor viewer that can be downloaded and installed for free to allow the files to be non parametrically translated as Dumb Solid?

Michael

Michael,

The program option to open a native UG/NX file in Pro/E is from PTC. It modifies the file type option list to include UG .prt files. It is an optional cost module. It requires UG/NX on the workstation with Pro/E. the setup has a config.pro line that points to the UG loadpoint.

Siemens has a similar optin that allows you to open native Pro/E .prt and .asm files in NX. It does NOT require Pro/E on the workstation that has NX. It too is an optional cost module.

In both cases, the files are imported as non-parametric files, much like the same results as using a STEP translator.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back