Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing / Using Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

revman

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2002
US
I'm having some two-stroke engine ports scanned and surfaced. I'd like to take those surfaces and 'add' them to my overall engine model that I'm developing. I'm currently using Solidworks 99, and I can't find any info on Boolean operations. Is there such functionality w/i Solidworks? If not, does anyone have any good ideas how I can 'OR' my port surface with the body of my cylinder to create these hollow cavities? (I haven't received my surfaces yet, but I imagine that they will be in IGES format).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

revman,
Boolean Operation only availble in SW2003.
You can import the scanned IGES into part file through Imported Surface. It can be found in the Surface toolbar.

It's better to get the latest version of SWX!!

[yinyang]

Revman

What you would want to do is inport the surface into your part document using the INSERT/SURFACE/IMPORTED from the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Bring that surface into the part, and you can use the "MOVE/COPY" surface commande to translate the surface to where you want it. After that you can use the INSERT?CUT/WITH SURFACE command to remove the port material.

one thing to remember, the rules for this are that the surface must cut completly through the model or must be closed on the end the does not protrude from the model. Second if there are multiple faces to the imported surface, you must knit them into a single entity prior to performing a cut with surface.

hope that helps Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back