Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

impossible to mesh in hexadecimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etienne17

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2020
DE
Hello to everyone,

I have a project for which I must, among other things, create a mesh in hexa element (hexa will be essential for the rest of my process) but I can't do it.

The hexa element mesh must be done on the part of the mesh refined here:

1_rsykqv.jpg

2_xiigpr.jpg

In fact, it does not matter on which part of the screw thread you refine the mesh. The rest of the model can be meshed with tetrahedrons it doesn't matter.

Here's what I tried to do:

-> create a plan as below to partition:

3_pxvxkd.jpg

-> cut the part as below to "reach" the screw base diameter

4_jrw3rr.jpg

-> What I wanted to do next was to create a partition with the "stetch planar" tool to separate the thread from the screw body as shown here:

5_werkbg.jpg

But it doesn't work. Two possibilities: either I'm not gifted, or it's not possible.

Would you help me out on this one please?

The goal would be to obtain "almost" perfectly aligned points (hence the interest of the hexagonal mesh) which will be treated mathematically (image opposite):

6_ydvxzi.jpg

If you find the solution, could you please explain to me how to proceed? (or even better, record the step with the macro recorder integrated in Abaqus, it would surely be easier for you as well as for me).

The cae model is enclosed. (You can get it here too:
Thank you for your help and happy New Year's Eve!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start from simplifying this part as much as possible. For example remove these small chamfers, most likely they aren't necessary for your analysis. Then use proper partitioning techniques (there are several available) to divide the part across into smaller regions. Finally, proceed to the thread. Just keep in mind that some parts can't be meshed with hex elements in Abaqus (this program has quite limited mesher) and you may need some external preprocessor for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back